The below criteria might serve a critical framework to reflect and review data comics. The criteria emerge from recent workshops with students and artists. Suggestions welcome.
- Does the story has a compelling start, end and conclusion?
- Does the story contains facts and insights form the data?
- Does the story lead through the data, creating tension and motivates to read on?
- Does the story explain enough context about the data?
- Does the comic use data visualizations to communicate data?
- Are the visualizations appropriate for data and message?
- Are the visualizations explained and understandable?
- Are the visualizations clear und readable?
- Are the visualizations used for explaining the data?
- Are the take-home messages clear?
- Is the overall presentation clear, appropriate and understandable?
- Is the text flowing well and complementing the picture?
- Is the reading order clear and appropriate?
- Does the comic effectively use visualizations to communicate?
- Is the overall tone appropriate for the targeted audience?
- Is the comic using an engaging style and tone?